Saturday, August 31, 2019

New Lens, New Bird, New Blog!!

So, thought I would start a new blog so I've somewhere to collate all my photographs of recent times, so where best to start than with a new bird! The Brown Booby, the first record for Britain, was first seen on Monday by a visiting birder Phil Snaith and later in the day by Kester Wilson. It was seen again the following morning by Phil and photographed by Keith Jennings. There then followed three days off scant, single observer, distant, was it? wasn't it? juvenile Gannet type views before finally today the bird gave itself up less that 80 feet away on rocks at Porthgwidden beach. What a relief! 
I worked night shifts last night but went straight down to meet my birding mate Brad Dallas at Harvey's Towns at Hayle this morning in the hope of seeing the bird, having missed it on two previous days. But by 9am there were no sightings and the rain came in heavy. So I gave up and headed home for bed. 

We are having few issues with Rats in our garden at the moment and I borrowed an air rifle to have a pop at few. And this was what prevented me from going to sleep. Had I gone to bed my phone would be off and I would no doubt have still been asleep now! As it was I saw a message saying at about 0930 saying the bird was showing again off Gwithian Towns! So straight out the door, 5 minute drive and I was there, scope up and viewing the bird for the first time. Fairly distant but good views through the scope! I watched it, with Brad who had also returned, until it disappeared from view across the bay towards St Ives. Elated, we went back to my house for celebratory coffee. 
After another hour I decided I must try and get some sleep. So off upstairs, quick shower and into bed. One last check of Twitter before I close my eyes...…………..Holy Shit! The Booby was now sat on rocks off Porthgwidden Beach and showing well!! The next thing is a phonecall from John Chapple saying, "Get yourself down here!! Its showing really well! Once in a lifetime views!"
So that was it, up again, donned the leathers and out on the motorbike heading for St Ives! 

Sticking strictly to the speed limit (honest your Honour!) I made excellent time and was soon parked up right at Porthgwidden. The beauty of owning a bike, especially at this time of year, is that you can park pretty much anywhere! 
And there it still was. Sat on the rocks with Cormorants and Shags in all its glory. I managed to reel of a good few shots with the camera before it took flight and disappeared around the headland.
What a fantastic experience! What an amazing bird!And thank god for the motorbike!!
I'm bloody exhausted now as I write this, but hey, who needs sleep!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STONECHATS